Author Topic: DWP accessing Internet History  (Read 1437 times)

WeDesign

• Gold Member
DWP accessing Internet History
« on: 07 Dec 2016 12:31PM »
Would this be the internet at the registered address?

What if you don't have internet at your registered address and only use WiFi from other locations?

Anybody else have views on this?

WD

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: DWP accessing Internet History
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2016 04:25PM »
So far as I can tell from what I've read on a range of sites, the state, via many departments, is already looking at people's internet usage, it's just that the new statutory provisions have been brought in to legalise it  now that whistleblowers like Assange have let the cat out of the bag.

Growing up in a household with a parent with the sort of public career where we got 'clicks on the line' on the phone, I never assume that no one is listening (or reading), although that does nothing to assuage my discomfort.

But my concern is less what they can find out than what they can't find out, i.e. how unbalanced their information is.

As to the specific question, I'd reckon that it's anything connected with you. 

So if you pay so much to have broadband, cable, adsl or whatever at home, it's the company providing that that's supposed to record it.  Likewise if they're providing the service via wifi elsewhere.

But as to what happens if you go into an internet café or have a means of accessing the internet via a mobile device without signing up to anything, I can't see how they can keep a record routinely.

But again, the notion that when 'spying' on people, they'd stick to the law is not something I'd believe in this context either, so it seems to me that if they're watching you and you log into your email or onto a messageboard they've found you use, they can spy on that.

I had a discussion recently with friends on the subject of watching/spying in a slightly different context, but I think my views are relevant here.  There were comments about terrorists and keeping an eye on potential terrorists and I drew their attention to something.  To the best of my knowledge, in the most recent complete year for which official statistics are available, all terrorist attacks in the UK were carried out by people with three features in common - pause here, could you name them? - they were white, British, and self-defined Christian.  But who do Prevent and the like target?  Dark-skinned Muslims, particularly those with overseas birth, heritage, or travel habits.   I don't believe that watching over dark-skinned Muslims rather than paler-skinned Christians is doing much good at keeping us safe.

So I never assume they'll be reading/watching/listening to the stuff that is most relevant and useful.

Another parallel would be sanctions.  Ostensibly to be a kick up the backside to claimants thought not to be trying to get work, and claimants with an undeclared job on the side.  Who actually gets targetted?  People who are vulnerable, not people trying to work the system.

So I'd say never assume that no one knows what you're saying and act accordingly.

That's why when I tell people my method for 'working the benefits system', I've no qualms about people at the DWP or anywhere else finding out what it is.  It includes such dodgy tactics as "never claim anything to which you are not legally entitled," "read the statutory provisions and the DWP guidelines and as much relevant caselaw as you can cope with, and ensure that you give them all the relevant information, not just what they ask for,"  "never say anything you can't prove, preferably with evidence you send with your application," and "don't just say you have a problem or need help 'sometimes' or 'often' vel sim., tell them how much of the time and be as specific as possible."  The powers that  be can make of that what they will.

Try not to panic, folks.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: DWP accessing Internet History
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2016 05:49PM »
It includes such dodgy tactics as "never claim anything to which you are not legally entitled," "read the statutory provisions and the DWP guidelines and as much relevant caselaw as you can cope with, and ensure that you give them all the relevant information, not just what they ask for,"  "never say anything you can't prove, preferably with evidence you send with your application," and "don't just say you have a problem or need help 'sometimes' or 'often' vel sim., tell them how much of the time and be as specific as possible."  The powers that  be can make of that what they will.

Well said >thumbsup<